A bodybuilder is engaged in the construction, remodeling or repair of bodywork for automobiles. In the past, there were hundreds of bodybuilders active in the passenger car sector. They flourished during the 1920s and early 1930s. They often car-body vehicles also on behalf of a car manufacturer.
The Automobili Bizzarrini S.p.A. was a manufacturer of high-performance sports cars from Livorno, Italy and was founded in late 1962 by Giotto Bizzarrini. In October 1968, Bizzarrini was insolvent. In the spring 1969, Bizzarrini S.p.A. was dissolved.
The Carrozzeria Colli was an Italian coach builder that produced special bodies for Fiat and Alfa Romeo.
The name Dörr & Schreck from Frankfurt (1919 until the 1960s) once stood for the haute couture of Frankfurt coachbuilding. In the 1920s, car bodies on Bugatti and Horch chassis achieved many a success in beauty contests.
Bonds from the aircraft industry, aerodynamic design, extremely high build quality - Erdmann & Rossi were far ahead of its time.
Figoni & Falaschi was a French coachbuilder firm which was responsible for some of the most elegant and graceful automobile body shapes seen from the 1930s through to the 1950s.
Fleetwood continued as an independent automobile body builder until acquired in 1925 by the Fisher Body Company, a division of General Motors.
The bodywork Hermann Graber was a Swiss manufacturer of automobile bodies based in Wichtrach (Canton of Bern), who designed and produced numerous special bodies for European and American chassis between 1926 and 1970. Some of Graber's creations won beauty awards before and after World War II. Graber was an exceptional talent and body-built a total of over 800 luxurious vehicles. He built most of the bodies on the Alvis chassis.
Hibbard et Darrin was a French body builder who operated in Paris directly on the Champs-Élysées. Owned by two Americans, Hibbard and Darrin, bodies were built for the most luxurious chassis.
The native of Aachen Joseph Neuss opened in 1857 his wagon construction business in Berlin. In 1889 his son Joseph Neuss Jr. took over the business. Among other things, the racing car Protos was built. Lieutenant Koeppen took part in the race from New York to Paris in 1908. With the third owner Karl Trutz from Coburg, they concentrated on the automobile business. Special bodies were built on Audi, Horch, Bugatti, Maybach and Mercedes chassis for prominent customers. Trutz made his company Joseph Neuss to one of the most respected body shop brands in the German Reich. In 1933 Joseph Neuss was taken over by Erdmann and Rossi. Until 1935 Erdmann & Rossi bodies still bore the additional name Neuss on the wagon plaque. Then the name Joseph Neuss disappeared.
Letourneur & Marchand (1905 - 1960) was located in the prosperous Paris suburb Neuilly-sur-Seine.
Motto was an Italian coachbuilding company established in Turin in 1932 by Rocco Motto.
Stabilimenti Industriali Giovanni Farina S.A. in Torino was the coachbuilding company founded in 1919 by Giovanni Farina, older brother of Battista 'Pinin' Farina.
Thrupp & Maberly was a British coachbuilding business based in the West End of London. The firm was started near Worcester about 1740. They became coach-makers to Queen Victoria. Later Thrupp & Maberly concentrated on luxury bodies for Rolls-Royce, Daimler, Mercedes-Benz and Bentley. In 1929, they built the body for Sir Henry Segrave's land speed record car, the Golden Arrow. Thrupp & Maberly operated for more than two centuries until 1967 when they closed.
The coach builder Touring was founded in Milan in 1926. For 40 years, some of the most beautiful cars ever built left the noble vehicle factory until it was all over in 1966.
Zagato (ZED Milano s.r.l.) is an Italian design and development office based in Rho in the Milan area. The company is one of the oldest body designers still in existence in Italy.