Utermöhle was founded in 1900 for the production of carriages and car bodies. The company headquarters were on Heliosstraße in Cologne. In 1903, the production of automobiles began. Already in 1905 the own car production ended. Utermöhle was taken over by Karl Deutsch in 1913 and renamed Westdeutsches Karosseriewerk. In 1916, Karl Deutsch changed the name to Karl Deutsch GmbH.