In the early 1930s, Ettore Bugatti had made a name for itself as a manufacturer of high-performance cars on both the road and the racetrack. The world's best pilots had countless successes behind the wheel of Molsheim racing cars, and many had adopted the brand's products as their personal means of transport. The Bugatti Type 44, presented in 1927, is considered the best touring Bugatti of the 1920s and was manufactured until 1931. Its production amounted to 1,095 units, 10% of which remain to this day. This chassis no. 44123 was built by the French body manufacturer Thiétart.