English industrialist David Brown purchased both Aston Martin and Lagonda after World War II, bringing together two great marques under his leadership. Both companies had great success in motorsport prior to World War II, particularly at the 24 Hours of LeMans. This tradition would continue under David Brown's control, when early on he decided to establish a works Aston Martin racing team. After the successful debut of his Two Liter competition car at the 24 Hours of Spa in 1948, Mr. Brown agreed to develop three new Aston Martins (Chassis LMA/49/1, LMA/49/2, and LML/49/3) to contest the first postwar 24 Hours of Le Mans, held in June 1949.
All four of the DB Mk IIs were registered on April 26, 1949. The three Aston Martin works racing cars, registered UMC 64 through UMC 66, were all identically finished in Almond Green paint with green canvas upholstery. UMC 272 (LML/49/4) was painted maroon and trimmed with beige leather. LML/49/4 was used by Aston Martin's owner David Brown as his personal car.