Contrary to the Motto
The only 20 year lasting history of the company Maybach is superlative-studded. This is aptly exemplified by the answer of Ing. Karl Maybach to the question of whether he would exhibit the cheapest car at International Motor Show in Berlin in 1921. He answered that question with full conviction: “No, the most expensive one!”
He sticked to the motto that only the best was good enough for his automobiles. Technically complex, far-sighted and progressive, Maybach set standards in the car scene. Maybach built the first German-produced car which was fitted with breaks on all four wheels and developed remarkable engine displacements – ultimately 7.9 liters. As a consequence thereof, the Friedrichshafen-based company also built the first standard V12 cylinder engine for passenger cars. 200 horsepower was another value that made the competition sit up. But in 1931 this company philosophy was challenged with the development of a 6-cylinder engine. This model series, called ‘W6’, was replaced by model series ‘DSH’ in 1934. Written-out the abbreviation stood for “Double-Six-Half” and related to a halved 12-cylinder engine. Admittedly, initially sounding a little bit bumpy but since the designation for the 12-cylinder engine was ‘DS’ or written out ‘Double-Six’ quite plausible. The 6-cylinder engine had a displacement of exactly 5,184 cc, 130 hp and accelerated the car to about 135 km/h, depending on which bodywork was fitted. As with the “bigger” models, the customer was of course also able order his desired bodywork setup for the DSH. It has been proved that two- and four-seater convertible bodywork, but also Pullman versions and versions with a detachable roof above the front seats were manufactured by known body makers.
One copy of the total 34 – other sources mention 50 – vehicles, with a very special bodywork, is part of the exhibition in the Technik Museum Sinsheim. The once proud and imposing luxury vehicle was converted into a mobile saw vehicle in the difficult period after World War II. Until 1986, it was owned by Mr. Georg Ewald, who worked with it till his old age. With his last will he donated the ‘Maybach Saw’ to the museum, but ordered that it should remain and be exhibited in unrestored condition.